Monday, June 30, 2008

Whidbey Island

Last weekend (June 21st) we went on a hike at Ebey's Landing on Whidbey Island. Whidbey Island was about an hour and half drive, plus a half hour ferry ride away, but it was worth it. It was a cloudy day, but it was nice and warm. We even got sunburned! 

Here is the beach that we walked along. We saw lots of crabs that were dead and broken seashells.  This is the hill that we climbed up. We started walking up the dune/hill then made a loop down and finished our hike on the beach. I don't know why Erik is leaning, but he is. 
This is the path down to the beach. We saw a bald eagle about 10 minutes into our hike, so that was pretty awesome. I also almost stepped on a snake, but I didn't notice it! Erik did, however! 

I love this picture. Washington is great! It was so pretty up on the island, but there was no food there. Luckily, we found a cappuccino place that served 2 different types of sandwiches. 


This was a military fort built back in the 1880s. It was used to defend the Puget Sound Navel Shipyard of unfriendly ships until the 1950s! It was really fun to wander about in it. It was like a maze with ladders and stairs and small rooms everywhere. 
Erik just really liked the big guns though! 

I can't believe how easy it had been for me to discontinue my weekly emails ever since Devon has returned from his mission. I figure I will try and update the blog weekly instead! This past week we didn't go on any hikes. We stayed close to home and looked at a few houses with our realtor on Saturday. We also participated in a Stake service project by widening a few walking trails up near the hospital. Friday Erik wanted to go shopping, so we did! We founds some great deals at the Gap, so that is always exciting. 
Work for me is going great. I really like the kids I work with, even though they are a handful. They are for the most part very kind and excited to be at summer camp. Tomorrow we take them to the Tacoma History Museum, so that should be fun. I come home every day tired, but that is ok. Erik is still working, which means taking classes. He even has quizzes and tests every week, but it is much easier than BYU! Well I hope you all had a great week! 

0 comments: